Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maze Rice



Yesterday I wanted to make an authentic macrobiotic dinner and made hijiki sea weed, kimpira and brown rice. But when, my husband came home he came by the stove and saw all these dishes and told me, why don't you mix everything together which would turn into our favorite dish of our favorite macrobiotic restaurant in NYC. I did so, and the dish came out amazingly good!!!

So with the recipes below you can either make 3 separate dishes, or one amazing dish called "Maze Rice" just by mixing all ingredients together. Next time when I'm making this dish, I'll try adding all the ingredients to the pressure cooker and see how it turns out. Regardless of the result, I'll post it here for you guys to see hoe it came out...



































Serves 8 people!

Brown Rice:
1 cup brown rice
1-3/4 cups water
1 tsp sea salt 
3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil 

Kimpira:
3 carrots, cut in thin diagonal slices
3 burdock roots, cut into matchsticks
1 cup dried shitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 cup Mirin 
2 tablespoons Shitake broth
4 tablespoons Shoyu

Hijiki:
1 cup dried hijiki sea weed
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 onion, sliced
Sesame oil
2 tablespoons shoyu
1/2 cup apple juice


  1. Soak the shitake and hijiki in two separate bowls with warm water for 20-30 min. 
  2. Wash the rice, place it in a pressure cooker, with water and salt, stir, and cover the lid. Turn on the flame to the highest and once you hear the pressure sound, turn flame to the lowest and let it simmer for 40 minutes.
  3. While rice is cooking, make the kimpira:
  4. Heat sesame oil in a large pan, add ginger, let it brown, then add burdock, carrots and shitake. Stir well, add mirin, shitake broth and shoyu. Cover the lid and cook for about 10 min over med-low flame. 
  5. to make the hijiki:
  6. Heat sesame oil in a medium pan, add ginger and onions, let it brown and add the hijiki, shouy and apple juice. Let it simmer for 10 minutes with cover lid.





Assembly:
When the rice is done. Open the pressure cooker, add 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil and stir, then add the kimpira and the hijiki and stir well.



The seasonings I used:


No comments:

Post a Comment