Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Last minute sandwich - baked tofu, salad and pesto




Tonight my husband came home late from work and was starving for something quick and nutritious to eat. He's mostly vegetarian so I always try to have a nut spread or a tofu in hand to use as a vegetable protein source in his sandwich. The baked tofu is a great idea for vegetarians to eat once in a while as a meat substitute in their sandwiches. When I opened up the fridge, I found that I only had a parsley pesto leftover from yesterday and a small pressed salad from tonight's dinner. What to do with these two random leftovers? I couldn't think of anything else besides the all time savior - sandwich!!!  So I toasted the bread and spread the pesto on each slice of the bread. Add the salad and finish up with the baked tofu. And voila, a delicious and nutritious sandwich apperared in a few seconds! My husband liked the sandwich so much that I made an extra one for him to bring to work tomorrow.
  
I only have time now to post the pesto recipe so I'll be owning you, the recipes for the baked tofu and the salad!


Why did I choose parsley pesto?
Well, it wasn't exactly a matter of choice...My daughter really wanted a pesto pasta for dinner last night and I had some of the ingredients except the major ones, pine nuts and basil. So, make do with what you have!!! I got some parsley and almonds for the pesto and it came out as good as the original one. My daughter loved it! Attention MOMS, this pesto recipe is a great way to make your child eat greens and get some of the chlorophyll, iron, calcium,vitamin A and vitamin K for excellent growth, maintenance and repair. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of parsley (take out some of the stem)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup soaked and peeled almonds (soak them for at least 4 hours and take out the skin by pressing the nut with your finger tips)
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Sea salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Raw Parmesan cheese

Directions:

  1. Combine the parsley, garlic, and almonds in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt.
  2. Add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.

2 comments:

  1. That's the kind of bread what I am looking for. This is a pretty good bread. My husband have a zinc deficiency and his doctor told him that he should eat those foods that are high in zinc. Especially those breads, oysters and some mussels too. Thanks for providing this pretty delicious sandwich recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana,

    I haven't actually mentioned what kind of bread I used. You probably guessed just by looking. I used whole spelt bread. But I also like a bread called Ezekiel Bread. It is a excellent source of zinc for your husband. If you don't know them yet, it's totally worth a try.
    Here the link to their web page: http://www.foodforlife.com/about_us/ezekiel-49

    Have a blessed day,

    Bela

    ReplyDelete